Summer Weather Tips
Food and water are especially important during the summer months.
- Provide fresh water at all times.
- Place food & water bowls in a cooler area.
- Put ice cubes in the water to keep it cooler for longer.
- Add a little water to dry food on extremely hot days. This will keep the food from drying out and provides extra water for the cats.
- Remove food after 45-60 minutes (30 minutes if the cat comes immediately to eat). Food will not keep as well when the weather is hot.
Summertime insects and bugs
- Elevate food so that it is less accessible to insects but still comfortable for cats to eat.
- Place food dish in a slightly larger bowl filled with an inch of water to keep insects away.
- Cut back on the amount of canned food, as insects are more attracted to it.
- Place a ring of baking soda around the dish.
Don’t leave a cat in a shed, garage or car
- Sheds, garages and cars become very hot very quickly.
- Leaving a cat where there is no ventilation can cause heat stroke or death.
- Remember, if it’s too hot for you, it’s too hot for the cat.